Monday, July 8, 2013

And It Shall Come to Pass


A simple thought today.

To anyone who reads my posts on here (which I’m not sure who or how many, but thank you to those who do!), it is evident that I am extremely critical of progress in social movements. My posts on marriage, pride festivals, Boy Scouts of America, and women’s position in the Church show how I am unable to accept change that does not address the larger issues, as well as change occurring while another individual/group is still being oppressed.

But I’m shifting the focus to personal progress today, because I don’t think I give myself enough credit. It’s crazy for me to think that 2 years ago, I was afraid to confess my sexuality to myself and live my life the way I wanted to, even if it went against what was religiously endorsed for me. That only 2 years ago today, I had come out to myself, as well as those most closely involved in my life. The person I am today has grown so much and come so far from the me 2 years ago, and I don’t get many chances to dwell on that. If I did, perhaps I would feel more confident in my path and better about the way my life is unfolding.

But when I do get to reflect, it’s because of people. Some people are sent to remind me of where I have been, all that I am, all that I can be, and all that is possible in life. These people make me happy, contemplative, emotional, and liberated. And these people may not be in my life forever; as much as I appreciate and try to keep these people around, they could very well be here for only a mere moment of my life. But maybe it’s not about how long they’re around for. Maybe it’s for the reminder they give me. And if I’m lucky, conditions will work out so that they can stick around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment