Monday, September 12, 2011

Back at BYU

I'm back at BYU now. Yes, I'm back from the Redwoods. No, I'm not going to show you pictures just yet. Because I'm away from my computer with the pictures, so sorry.

I love BYU.
I really do.
And it's a weird thing to say that.
But I love it because it has been my life for the past 4 years. It's comfortable here in some ways.
Mostly I love it because it's really easy to get lots of people to look at me throughout the day.
I wear whatever I want. Ranging from pink skirts with lace to cut-off paint-stained sweat pants to just a regular cute grey skirt and gray skirt and gray non-jacket jacket thing...Then I can play music as I walk/dance/glide/skip/run around on campus. I think people look at me because I'm happy. Like a different kind of happy than what I was trained to appear to be within the mormon culture. A real kind of happy. And I'm confident. I don't care if my hair is uber disgustingly greasy or if my toes are still covered with dirt from my hike three days ago...

Okay, but really. I like BYU because the grounds crew does an excellent job. It's pretty here (and I"m not just talking about all the ladies). ;)
And, I think there are a decent amount of open-minded people here--English professors for example. They're very liberal people. Which is good. To me. sometimes. It's just that they think about things. And they understand the world a little better than my 20-something counterparts. (maybe it's an age thing?)

And I love getting reactions. I like to see people squirm a little bit as they realize BYU isn't really this bubble that we make it out to be. There are GAY people walking around at BYU. Crazy notion, I know. But it's true. And I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment