Monday, March 25, 2013

Dreams Can Change


Allow me a moment to revel in the glory that is post-finals week: that period after exams and papers where I am liberated from any academic obligations. After a week of three in-class exams, three papers, and a presentation (all for just four classes? Ludicrous.), nothing can make me happier in this moment than knowing last quarter is behind me and I am free to enjoy my week long spring break before starting another quarter next week. I am at liberty to write just for the sake of writing and for creativity, letting my mind wander and my keyboard recording the journey.  It feels incredible.

As is the usual at the end of every quarter, I always think back and reflect upon what I learned. In this reflection, random facts and points authors attempted to make in their writing elude me. What does present itself, however, is what I’ve incorporated into my own life and how my classes have helped me to grow as a person.

Coming to mind is a conversation between a teacher of mine and me during office hours. As we sat down and began the usual exchange of major, year, and plans for after graduation, I expressed that I had no clue what I wanted to do after graduation. I don’t know the kind of job I want to have, what I’ll do with my degrees, or anything that we students are expected to know. And while I do still have another year left before I graduate, these thoughts still cram my head and cause me worry.

As I expressed these concerns, my teacher advised me that it’s perfectly okay to not know what I want to do. That even though I may soon figure out what I want to do, dreams can change and life can change my course. As she related this viewpoint to herself personally, someone who has had (in my opinion) much success thus far, I was able to conceptualize the idea that disorientation is okay. It’s okay to not know what I want to be, what I want to do, or where I want to end up. It reminded me of my favorite Lana Del Rey quote:

“I believe in the person I want to become. I believe in the freedom of the open road. And my motto is the same as ever. I believe in the kindness of strangers. And when I’m at war with myself, I ride. I just ride."

I enjoy moments and conversations like this, when people in such high academic standing are relatable and impart their knowledge to me. It’s instances like those that make the high tuition and stress of school worth it. Often times, this wisdom is more valuable than anything else being taught in lectures. And it’s what I’ll remember most out of everything I learn in college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment