Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sex Trafficking and Saving the World

Okay, so I went to England two years ago. But, before I left there were all these people who asked me if I'd seen "Taken", which I had not. They then proceeded to tell me to be careful while in England.

I had no bad experiences in England (other than the ones I created by hating myself for being lesbian...um...) Anyway.
I watched "Taken" because my cousins told me it was a good movie.
First of all, it was a terrible movie.
It was about sex trafficking, but not really. Because it was more about an ex-spy who goes around killing a bunch of bad guys before he can actually get any information out of them. He "saves" a girl only to find out where she got his daughter's jacket and then abandons her.
Of course it ends happily ever after with him taking his spoiled-brat daughter to meet the famous pop-star singer.

The acting was poor. The action was, for the most part, unnecessary.
I came away from the movie with very little hope for humanity.
I came away from it wanting to do something about this very REAL issue and not knowing where to start. What can I do? I'm just a little girl who has no CIA training and no billions of dollars to blow on plane tickets and creative little devices. What can I do to help protect young women from being kidnapped, drugged, sold, and raped?

If you know of anything, please tell me. I once donated like $5 to some hippie little shop that was supposedly doing something to stop sex trafficking, but I don't even know how they could do that. How will my donation help someone? Or is it some kind of scheme to aid the whole trafficking thing itself? See? I have no trust for humanity either.

Sometimes I feel like I want to save the world. I want to help people. I want to make things right. Safe. Happy. Free.

But, I can't.

I can't give LGBT individuals equal rights.
I can't protect women from being kidnapped.
I can't free people from being enslaved.
I can't save the whales or the rainforest or the wilderness.

I feel completely powerless sometimes.

I know I just said I can't, can't, can't.
But, I do know that there are some things I CAN do.
I can spread the word.
I can share what I know.

The world is a messed-up place. There are a lot of terrible things that happen, and I can't imagine how anyone gets mixed up in any of it, but little by little we can all do something.

I've said before that my goal is not to advocate for gay marriage or gay rights. And while I do hope for those things, it is still not my goal. Above everything else, I want you to understand me a little better. I want you to see what I see even for a second and then think about what other people are feeling. I want to generate empathy and understanding. My goal is to promote acceptance and love. Life is hard for all of us. I think we would do well to remember this fact when we see others making choices we think are wrong. Or when someone gets on our nerves. Or when we really just want to punch someone. We would do well to remember that life is hard for all of us. This does not leave room for a self-pity party. This means we must look out for each other. We must stand up for each other. We must LOVE each other and do something about all the shit in the world, even if it's just a little something.


~Live your own truth~

No comments:

Post a Comment