Friday, November 9, 2012

Defending Your Sexuality


#FuckShitHappyCrazysauce.



Ever have weeks like these? Where you have absolutely no idea what is going on with your emotions? One minute I was curled up bawling about nothing ever working out and the next my stomach hurts from laughing too much. This week was a roller coaster of emotions and midterms that I’m still trying to figure out. As per last week's confusion as to whether I would stay on the blog, I’m staying. I love this place too much to leave and thankfully Tif doesn’t want me too. J

So now I guess I better add some substance to my posts so I don’t get kicked off. :P



So I have a friend that is straight. That friend is a girl and she also happens to be Mormon. The other day we ran into another friend who knew about me and was joking about me being a part of the Fun Club (my homosexuality). He then proceeded to ask if our friend was a member of the Fun Club. When I told him no he was like “Really? Because I kind of thought you two…” and just left it hanging there. Now to be honest I’ve always been afraid of people thinking we were a couple. We spent a lot of time together and were pretty close. That and I’m practically vomiting rainbows I’m so out of the closet. But no one has ever really questioned it (mainly because they knew it wasn’t happening) until this kid. And needless to say it did not do her good. As I was sitting there listening to her complain about having to defend her straightness I was slightly angry with the world. Would I never be allowed to be friends with straight girls without the assumptions? What about gay men? Why did everybody feel the need to label everything!? Maybe when I meet new people with her in company I should say “Hi I’m an agnostic panromantic demisexual cis gendered female and this is a Mormon heterosexual cis gendered female and were are in a strictly platonic relationship that I hold above most others”? What about “Hi I’m Dupree and this is my best friend R”?
Or maybe it’s nobody’s damn business. I mean that’s how I feel. I don’t feel the need to constantly announce that we are just friends. But maybe that’s because I wouldn’t mind if things went the other way (don’t worry she already knows this and still puts up with me). I guess what is most annoying about this isn’t what other people think but what she thinks (and why she is so annoyed). Because I don’t think a girl dating another girl is a shameful thing, and she obviously does.

On another note OBAMA WON! Yay for marriage… and drugs.


2 comments:

  1. I just have to clarify because it's been bugging me: I'm not ashamed to be your friend just because people might think we're together. You don't feel the need to verify that our friendship is platonic, which is fine.
    The thing is I feel the need to verify it, not because I'm ashamed that someone might think I'm a lesbian, but because I want to date boys! (people tend to walk away if they think you're taken) ;)
    On a more serious note, it also bothers me when people who've known me for a while start to treat me different just because they don't agree with my 'perceived' sexuality. I wish it didn't bother me as much, but I feel awkward when my roommates or my coworkers or my friends treat me differently because of something that really doesn't concern them (whether it's true or not).
    Anyway, I hope that clarifies things a bit.
    And FYI, I am soooo excited that you're going to keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're staying on the blog, too. I like your posts, and your ideas. Lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete