Monday, January 14, 2013

1 Girl, 5 Gays, Eh?


I could be the worst gay ever. More often times than none, I have not had any of the typical gay “rites of passage” that many have long since experienced. We won’t even mention the fact that I have not seen Brokeback Mountain yet (oh, the shame). A lot of what culturally happens in my community always transpires without my knowledge. Although I am familiar with many LGBT music artists, I am typically culturally illiterate until someone brings me into the light.

Such was the case when I walked in on my roommate watching “1 Girl, 5 Gays.” For those that don’t know, it’s a Canadian show airing on MTV Canada, and on Logo in the United States. The show features the heterosexual and charming Aliya Jasmine Sovani as host and a panel of 5 gay men chosen from the Toronto community.  The 6 talk about various aspects of their love and sex lives, which results in humorous and outrageous confessions.



After watching just one episode with my roommate, I was hooked. Each episode is entertaining and light, with just a small smidge of adversity and inspiration. In other words, it’s a lot of happy with an “aww” moment every now and then. Also, I experienced something rare while watching the show: I was able to relate to most of these guys, their answers, and their experiences. Let me just say that if this show is representative of gay life in Toronto, I’ll start packing my bags. The guys, on camera at least, are like nothing I’ve ever experienced before: positive, genuine, and normal. 

Season 4 episodes can be watched online here, and season 1 episodes can be watched online here. And if you live in Canada/an area where the copyright doesn't apply to you, well, then I envy you because you can watch them all here

6 comments:

  1. I read this post completely about the difference of newest and previous
    technologies, it's remarkable article.
    Also see my page: Oregon mortgage help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha . . . ^spam!

    Anyway, I might look into that next time I'm in a TV mood. That sounds like a good bet for filling the craving.

    P.S. I didn't think Brokeback Mountain was all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew Brokeback didn't live up to the hype! Still, I feel like I need to see it so I can hold onto my gay card. =P

      Delete
    2. UM brokeback mountain made me sob for hours and incessantly fantasize about falling in love with a cowboy. just saying :P

      Delete
  3. "Positive, genuine and normal"...depends on the 5 guys they have on the show...trust me. I watch it every week, and I love it, but there are a few guys on the show who are NUTS. The guys on this week's show are pretty good guys. Just wait, you'll see what I mean! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't include my critique of Philip (boy oh boy was that hard to leave out), but yes. Generally, I feel like the majority of them are just cool, average guys, which is really hard to find in my community!

      Delete