Saturday, September 1, 2012

Intro Post

So...hi!



This is me, Kylie, your new blogger.


And this is me trying to eat a fish in Senegal last summer.



This is me with my boyfriend, Jon, posing after playing frisbee. For some reason our friend is looming in the background, making his section of the picture akin to a hipster album cover. Does anyone else see that? Anyone?

I'm 22 years old, native Utahn, born and raised Mormon, and identify (mostly) as bisexual. Sometimes I feel closer to pansexual. But sexuality is a spectrum in many ways, so...I'm in there somewhere.

I've always been bisexual, but I didn't acknowledge that until this year. For instance, when I was little, I started watching Sailor Moon, and I was in love with literally all of the characters. Such gorgeous, gorgeous women, and Tuxedo Mask is pretty great himself. I realize these are cartoon characters. But have you seen these fierce ladies?? So, so flawless.

Anyway, I was freaked out by my fascination with these sexy ladies and decided I had to stop watching Sailor Moon (at the age of eight) because, obviously, something about it was evil, as you can tell from this very evil-looking picture:



Here are some other childhood experiences:

  • Trying to kiss a girl in the 2nd grade;
  • Crushing on a red-haired boy in 3rd grade; 
  • Being fascinated with the huge smoothness of my Barbies' plastic breasts (but come on, who wasn't? Isn't that why they were invented??); 
  • And playacting with my brother's John Smith (a la Pocahontas) doll to play "Divorce" with the girl Barbies, which entailed having one girl Barbie save another girl Barbie from her abusive marriage via the Barbie RV in the dead of night, though usually John Smith would hunt them down and beat one of them up. ?? As you can see, me and heterosexuality have tended to have some problems.

Following this blog has also helped me through some hard times, so thanks to everyone who contributes :) I really admire you, and thanks for everything. Really.

So those are some things about me! Sorry to ramble on and on. I'm really excited to join this community. I'm also happy to be posting on Sunday, especially since tonight is the Breaking Bad season finale, and I'll need something to replace the gaping void in my heart left by its absence.

The last thing I want to share about me is that I love poetry, so here is my favorite poem by one of my favorite poets, Richard Siken. I hugely recommend his collection, Crush, which is devastatingly sad (about the loss of his boyfriend) and so, so redemptively beautiful. This poem reflects on the nature of relationships and narrative and the importance of stories and the nature of being alive. I think it's pretty lovely. Have a lovely week, all!

Scheherazade

Tell me about the dream where we pull the bodies out of the lake 
and dress them in warm clothes again. 
How it was late, and no one could sleep, the horses running 
Until they forget that they are horses. 
It’s not like a tree where the roots have to end somewhere, 
it’s more like a song on a policeman’s radio, 
how we rolled up the carpet so we could dance, and the days 
were bright red, and every time we kissed there was another apple 
to slice into pieces. 
Look at the light through the windowpane. That means it’s noon, that means 
we’re inconsolable. 
Tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us. 
These, our bodies, possessed by light. 
Tell me we’ll never get used to it. 



7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog! Yes, I totally see the album cover there. Oh my goodness, "Divorce" with the Barbies is HILARIOUS! There's a short story/film/something in there.

    Look forward to reading your future entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining, looking forward to hearing more of your journey.

    I agree with Trev, love the childhood memories! How incredibly imaginative. Also, definitely see the hipster music cover and I love that YOU love Breaking Bad! So stressful, right!

    Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited that you're writing here now! I've missed your blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, everyone! I'm excited to get to know you all :D MJ, I hope you survived the Breaking Bad finale. SO STRESSFUL! Thanks everyone, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already really like you, and I'm excited to get to peer deeper into your adorable soul, one post at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Jo! Thanks! AAAAAH you're so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. KYLIE!!!!!!!! I'm in love with you. don't tell Jon. Jo already knows...


    ReplyDelete